Pan-fried mackerel with potatoes and beetroot
- October 2008
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 minutes to make and 40 minutes to roast
Buy whole fresh mackerel for this dinner recipe – it’s good value, and a little goes a long way as the meat is rich and oily. It freezes well too.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 35.8g (8.3g saturated)
- 22.4g (6.6g sugar)
- 400g potatoes, cut into chunks
- 300g baby beetroot, halved
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 fresh mackerel, filleted or 8 mackerel fillets
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- Handful fresh chives, snipped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Place the potatoes and beetroot in a roasting tin with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and roast in the oven for 40 minutes.
- When the veggies have been cooking for 20 minutes, prepare the mackerel. Slash along the skin side of the fillets and season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan with the lemon zest and fry the fish over a high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side until the skin is crisp.
- Put the potatoes and beetroot in a bowl and stir in the lemon juice, crème fraîche and chives. Season and serve with the mackerel.
Fresh mackerel has a texture and flavour similar to sea bass, but is much cheaper to buy. Try roasting slashed whole fresh mackerel in a hot oven for 10-15 minutes until it is just cooked through and serve with cherry tomatoes, fresh rosemary sprigs, lemon wedges and a drizzle of olive oil and serve with salad and buttered potatoes for a tasty and colourful midweek supper with friends.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Grilled mackerel, grapefruit and pesto freekeh salad
The combination of crispy grilled mackerel, sharp grapefruit and the nutty flavour of freekeh, all...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...