Grilled mackerel, grapefruit and pesto freekeh salad
- February 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 40 min, grill time 10 min
The combination of crispy grilled mackerel, sharp grapefruit and the nutty flavour of freekeh, all topped with fresh pesto, makes this grain salad worthy of a special lunch.
- 53.2g (9.7g saturated)
- 50g (16g sugars)
- Olive oil for frying and drizzling
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 200g freekeh
- 500ml chicken stock
- Squeeze lemon juice
- 8 skin-on mackerel fillets, pin boned (small bones removed with kitchen tweezers/pliers)
- 3 large pink grapefruit, segmented and juice reserved (for the pesto)
- 100g young leaf spinach
- 25g fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
For the pesto
- 100g pine nuts, lightly toasted for 5 minutes in a dry frying pan
- 50g basil
- 50g fresh flatleaf parsley
- 120ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 50g parmesan, coarsely grated
- Reserved juice from the segmented grapefruit (above)
- Heat a glug of olive oil in a large pan, then add the onion and gently fry for 5-6 minutes until softened. Add the balsamic vinegar and freekeh, then cook for 2-3 minutes more. Add the stock and simmer for 20 minutes until the freekeh is al dente – the stock should be almost completely absorbed. Turn off the heat and allow to cool to just warm.
- Meanwhile, put half the pine nuts and the rest of the pesto ingredients in a food processor and whizz to a rough paste. Heat the grill to high.
- Drizzle olive oil and a squeeze of lemon over the mackerel fillets, then grill for 5-8 minutes, skin-side up, until cooked through (keep an eye on them, as grills vary in strength).
- Stir the grapefruit segments, spinach, parsley and half the pesto into the freekeh. Season to taste and serve with the mackerel, extra pesto and the remaining pine nuts.
Make the pesto 24 hours ahead. Keep in a sealed container in the fridge. Leftovers will keep for up to 3 days.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Grilled mackerel salad with miso dressing
This grilled mackerel salad with miso dressing makes a lovely light lunch. Serve it on...
Grilled mackerel with herb yogurt and pearl barley
Great-tasting and fuss-free, this grilled mackerel with herby yogurt and pearl barley makes a delicious...
Griddled mackerel fillets with fennel and cucumber coleslaw
This recipe is low in calories, carbs and salt; a very healthy and attractive summer...