Parmesan roast chicken thighs with lentils
- August 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 30 min
These plump roast chicken thighs served with lentils make a quick and easy midweek meal using storecupboard staples.
- 15.7g fat (4.2g saturated)
- 51.8g protein
- 30.8g carbs (2.1g sugars)
- 8.9g fibre
- 1.7g salt
- 4 salted anchovy fillets, rinsed
- 30g parmesan
- Olive oil
- 8 free-range chicken thighs
- 250g dried puy lentils (we used Merchant Gourmet)
- 150g frozen spinach
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- 3 tbsp capers
- Large handful fresh flatleaf parsley
- 1 lemon
- Heat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. Finely chop the anchovies and grate the parmesan, then mix in a bowl with black pepper and enough olive oil to form a thick paste. Loosen the skin of each chicken thigh, then ease the paste under it. Season all over, then put in a baking tray and roast for 30 minutes or until the meat is cooked and the skin is crisp.
- Meanwhile, cook the lentils according to the pack instructions, drain if necessary, then put back in the pan. Put the spinach in a colander in the sink and pour over a kettle of boiling water, then drain well and roughly chop (don’t worry if it’s still a bit frozen). Add to the lentils and stir in. Season, then drizzle over a glug of extra-virgin olive oil and cover with cling film to keep warm.
- Drain, rinse and chop the capers, then chop the parsley, and mix in a bowl. Grate in the lemon zest, squeeze in the juice, then add enough extra-virgin oil to make a dressing. Season.
- Serve the chicken with the lentils, with the caper and parsley dressing spooned over.
Next time, stir the chopped anchovies, parmesan, parsley and lemon juice into hot melted butter, then drizzle over cooked chicken.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Italian chicken recipes
Roast chicken thighs stuffed with gorgonzola piccante, chilli and herbs
Trade in your Sunday roast for these Italian-inspired gorgonzola stuffed chicken thighs. This easy-to-make dinner...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...