Mexican chicken taco salad
- July 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
Try our filling main-course salad of Mexican-spiced chicken, lots of veggies and a creamy chilli dressing.
Check out more filling salad recipes.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 28.6g (5g saturated)
- 39.5g (7.5g sugars)
- 2 large red peppers, cut into large chunks
- 4 large salad onions, cut into thirds lengthways or 1 red onion cut into wedges
- 4 tsp light olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp chilli sauce (such as chipotle sauce or Cholula)
- Grated zest 2 limes and juice 1, the remaining lime cut into wedges
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 large crunchy lettuce, roughly shredded
- 350g mixed tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 large or 6 small corn tortillas (we used Wahaca flour and yellow corn tortillas from Ocado)
- Large handful fresh coriander, leaves picked and chopped
- 1 ready-roasted rotisserie chicken (roughly 900g), cut into chunky portions
- Heat a griddle pan or grill to high. Toss the peppers and onions in the oil and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until slightly softened and lightly charred. Set aside.
- Meanwhile make a dressing by mixing the chilli sauce, lime zest and juice, and mayo until smooth, then set aside. Put the lettuce and tomatoes in a large bowl.
- Griddle/grill the tortillas for 30 seconds or so on each side until lightly toasted, then cut into wedges. Toss the peppers, onions, coriander and a little dressing with the rest of the salad and season with salt and pepper. Tip the dressed salad onto a serving platter, arrange the chicken portions and tortillas on top and serve with the remaining dressing and lime wedges for squeezing on the side.
For a meat-free option swap the chicken for 2 x 400g cans drained and rinsed black beans: fry them with the garlic and chilli, then mix with the charred peppers and onions.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...