Pastry-wrapped chicken and rice kedgeree
- March 2006
- Serves 6
- Takes 45 min to make, 40 min to cook
Kedgeree is traditionally made with fish but in this clever recipe you use chicken and wrap the whole thing in pastry. Freeze and bring out when you don’t feel like cooking.
- 35.8g (17.6g saturated)
- 47.5g (2.9g sugars)
- 100g long-grain rice
- 600ml fresh chicken stock
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 75g butter
- Bunch spring onions, finely chopped
- 150g chestnut mushrooms, chopped
- Handful chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, roughly chopped
- Grated zest of 1 small lemon
- 500g pack fresh puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with a little water
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions, drain and set aside. Meanwhile, put the stock into a pan and bring to a simmer, then add the chicken and poach for 15-20 minutes, until just cooked through. Drain and leave to cool. Cut into bite-size pieces.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes, until just softened. Take off the heat and stir in the rice, chicken and parsley. Add the chopped egg and lemon zest and mix well.
- Roll out the pastry to 30 x 35cm and put on a non-stick baking tray. Spoon the chicken and rice mix onto 1 half, leaving a border at the edge. Brush the edges with water. Fold the pastry over and seal the edges.
- Open-freeze for 4 hours on the baking tray. Remove from the tray, wrap in cling film and freeze again.
- The day before you eat, thaw in the fridge overnight. Put a baking tray in the oven and preheat to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Brush the pastry with the yolk, sprinkle with black pepper and sea salt and place on the hot tray and bake for 40 minutes until golden.
To bake fresh, make up to step 3, brush with the yolk and put onto a cold baking tray. Bake for 30 minutes in an oven preheated to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6.
Freeze for up to 1 month, then defrost for 24 hours and reheat for 40 minutes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Freezable chicken curry puffs
These mini puff pastries, filled with spicy chicken curry, are perfect to make ahead then...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...