Peter Gordon’s pumpkin, ginger, chickpea and cheese soup
- Online only 2017
- Serves 6-8
- Hands-on time 15 mins, plus simmering time
This chunky pumpkin soup recipe by Peter Gordon could almost be a meal in itself – it’s robust, wholesome and very tasty.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 1 large white fleshed onion, peeled and slice
- 1 large leek,thinly sliced, washed to remove grit if necessary
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 thumb of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 50g butter
- 2 good pinches of saffron (or use ½ teaspoon turmeric)
- 600g pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 1x 400g (approx) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed well under running water
- 200ml cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- 60g coarsely grated cheese (try an aged cheddar or pecorino)
- 100ml sour cream
- Chives for garnish
- In a large heavy pan, sauté the onion, leek, garlic and ginger in the butter over a low heat, with the lid on, until everything softens and wilts. Stir occasionally.
- Add the saffron, pumpkin and half the stock, then cook over a low heat, with the lid on, until the pumpkin is almost cooked. Mash it with a potato masher – it doesn’t need to be smooth.
- Add the drained chickpeas, the remaining stock and cream and plenty of cracked black pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, with the lid on, and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt, then add nutmeg to taste. Stir in the cheese and ladle into piping hot bowls. Dollop on the sour cream and snip a few chives over it.
Peter uses chickpeas, and using pre-cooked canned ones is fine. But you could also make it with cannellini, flageolet or butter beans instead.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pumpkin soup with pumpkin seed pesto
A sophisticated soup for autumn that turns pumpkin into a grown-up treat at Halloween. This...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...