Pizzette with vegan mozzarella and onion relish
- April 2015
- Makes 6 pizzette
- Hands-on time 20 minutes, simmering time 25 minutes, oven time 10-12 minutes
Serve this Italian-inspired vegan dish as a starter, or as a light meal with a salad of bitter greens.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 20.3g (7.4g saturated)
- 50g (18.8g sugars)
- 190g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 3.5g fast-action dried yeast
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing and drizzling
- 110ml warm water
For the onion relish
- 1.5kg onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 200g non-dairy mozzarella, grated (from good health food shops or goodnessdirect.co.uk – if you’re not cooking for vegans, you could use regular mozzarella )
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, yeast and caster sugar. Make a well in the centre and pour in 1 tbsp of the olive oil and the warm water. Bring it all together with your hands, then tip out onto a lightly oiled work surface. Knead the dough for around 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces, then roll into balls andput on a baking tray. Cover with a clean damp tea towel and set aside while you make the onion relish.
- For the onion relish, heat the remaining 3 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the onions and garlic, then stir well to coat. Cook over a medium heat for around 20 minutes or until soft, sticky and golden, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the soft light brown sugar and vinegar through the onions, then season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for a few minutes more. Taste and season again.
- Heat the oven to 220ºC/200ºC fan/ gas 7. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each dough ball into a 15cm disc, then arrange on 1 large or 2 small baking sheets. Divide the onion mixture equally among the discs,spreading to the edge of each. Top with grated mozzarella and drizzle with olive oil, then bake for 10-12 minutes until the base is crisp and golden, and the topping bubbling.
A recipe from Easy Vegan by Sue Quinn (£11.99; Murdoch Books)
You might think there are a lot of onions in this recipe, but they cook down into a gorgeous, concentrated relish.
The pizzette (little pizzas) make a brilliant starter or light meal, served with a heap of dressed bitter leaves to complement the sweetness of the onion.
Make the relish up to 2 days ahead. Keep covered, chilled. Bring to room temperature, then continue from step 5.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegan Christmas recipes
Vegan miso mushroom, squash and chestnut wellington
This vegan wellington makes a standout centrepiece whatever the occasion. A mixture of miso mushrooms,...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...