Poached eggs, tahini and pan-fried avocado
- October 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
A simple and satisfying, protein-packed breakfast or brunch. This is a great recipe if you’ve overdone it the night before…
- 37.1g (7.1g saturated)
- 19g (1.1g sugars)
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 fresh medium free-range eggs (see Know-how)
- 2 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 2 just ripe avocados, cut into 1cm thick slices
- 4 thick slices fresh bread (such as sourdough or rye bread; see Jo’s introduction)
- 3 tbsp tahini, plus extra to serve
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Squeeze lemon juice (optional)
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, then add the vinegar. Crack in the eggs one at a time, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the whites set. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- While the eggs are poaching, heat the 2 tbsp oil in a large frying pan. Add the avocado slices and fry for about 1-2 minutes on each side (turn carefully) until slightly golden. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper. Toast the bread until golden.
- Spread each slice of toast with tahini, then top with fried avocado and a poached egg. Season with salt and black pepper, sprinkle with sumac and sesame seeds, then serve with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and extra tahini, and a squeeze of lemon juice, if you like.
Recipe from In the Mood for Healthy Food by Jo Pratt (www.nourishbooks.com)
Freshness is key to really good poached eggs – the firmer white tightly encloses the yolk as it sets.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Home-made granola gives your children lots of energy which is great for keeping them active....
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...