Poached eggs, tahini and pan-fried avocado
- October 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
A simple and satisfying, protein-packed breakfast or brunch. This is a great recipe if you’ve overdone it the night before…
- 37.1g (7.1g saturated)
- 19g (1.1g sugars)
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 fresh medium free-range eggs (see Know-how)
- 2 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 2 just ripe avocados, cut into 1cm thick slices
- 4 thick slices fresh bread (such as sourdough or rye bread; see Jo’s introduction)
- 3 tbsp tahini, plus extra to serve
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Squeeze lemon juice (optional)
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, then add the vinegar. Crack in the eggs one at a time, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the whites set. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- While the eggs are poaching, heat the 2 tbsp oil in a large frying pan. Add the avocado slices and fry for about 1-2 minutes on each side (turn carefully) until slightly golden. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper. Toast the bread until golden.
- Spread each slice of toast with tahini, then top with fried avocado and a poached egg. Season with salt and black pepper, sprinkle with sumac and sesame seeds, then serve with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and extra tahini, and a squeeze of lemon juice, if you like.
Recipe from In the Mood for Healthy Food by Jo Pratt (www.nourishbooks.com)
Freshness is key to really good poached eggs – the firmer white tightly encloses the yolk as it sets.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Delicious recipes for one person
Poached egg, squash, mushrooms and kale on sourdough
A healthy meal for one that takes poached eggs on toast up a notch with...