Pork meatballs with wholewheat spaghetti
- February 2006
- Serves 4
- Ready in 40 minutes
Our classic Italian pork meatballs covers all bases – the tomatoes provide vitamin C, the pasta provides fibre, and the chillies add flavour.
- 750g lean minced pork fillet
- 50g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 medium-hot red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh basil, plus extra leaves, to garnish
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 4 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 450g can chopped tomatoes
- 500g carton tomato passata
- 400g wholewheat spaghetti
- Mix together the pork, breadcrumbs, 100g of the onions, 2 garlic cloves, half the red chilli, the basil, parsley, milk, egg and plenty of black pepper in a large bowl. Using damp hands, shape into balls.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Brown the meatballs, in batches, then transfer to a flameproof casserole.
- In the same pan, gently fry the remaining onions, garlic and chilli until soft. Add the tomatoes, passata and black pepper to taste. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the meatballs, partly cover, and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions. Drain well and divide between 4 bowls. Spoon over the meatballs and garnish with the extra basil.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Quick midweek meals
Meatballs in spinach and tomato sauce with herby couscous
Make weekday cooking easier with this hearty meatball recipe made from ingredients from your storecupboard.