Potato soup with chorizo
- December 2007
- Serves 4
- Ready in 30 minutes
This simple recipe for potato soup with chorizo, and parsley pesto takes just 30 minutes. An impressive starter to serve at your next dinner party.
- 16.5g (6.2g saturated)
- 26.9g (4.5g sugar)
- 25g butter
- 500g floury potatoes, such as maris piper, cut into small cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 850ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 125ml milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil, for frying
- 50g chorizo, thinly sliced
For the parsley pesto
- 25g fresh parsley, chopped
- 25g Parmesan or Grana Padano, freshly grated
- 25g pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 75ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for covering
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the potatoes and onion. Season, stir well, cover with a lid and sweat over a gentle heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken or vegetable stock, bring to the boil, cover again, and simmer for another 10 minutes, until the vegetables are soft. Add the milk, then blitz with a hand-held blender, until smooth.
- Make the parsley pesto. Put all the ingredients, except the olive oil, into a food processor and whizz to a textured purée. Add the oil and a good pinch of salt and whizz briefly to a coarse paste. Spoon into a sterilised jar, cover with 1cm oil and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Cover with more oil after each use.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the chorizo slices and fry for 30 seconds each side, until crisp and the oil has run out into the pan. Lift the chorizo onto kitchen paper to drain briefly. Reserve the rich, amber-coloured oil.
- Divide the hot soup between warm bowls, and swirl 1 teaspoon of pesto into each bowl. To serve, top each soup with 3 chorizo slices and a little of the reserved chorizo oil.
Freeze it (the soup only): at the end of step 2 for up to 3 months.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Wild garlic recipes
Wild garlic and potato soup with garlic butter croutons
This creamy wild garlic and potato soup from Debbie Major is made even better with...