Pressure cooker gratin dauphinois
- January 2023
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 10 min. Simmering time 8 min, plus depressuring
Rustle up a creamy gratin dauphinois in minutes using your pressure cooker. This easy dish can be made with any type of potatoes and makes the perfect side dish for pressure cooker beef casserole.
Recipe from Modern Pressure Cooking: The Comprehensive Guide to Stovetop and Electric Cookers, with Over 200 Recipes by Catherine Phipps (Quadrille, £26) Photography © Andrew Hayes-Watkins.
- 11.5g (7.2g saturated)
- 16.9g (1.4g sugars)
- Butter, for greasing and dotting over the potatoes
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 500g potatoes, finely sliced
- 1 tsp plain flour
- 150ml whipping cream
- 2tbsp water
- Use butter to grease an ovenproof dish that will fit in your pressure cooker, then cut 1 garlic clove in half and rub this over the buttered dish.
- Arrange 500g finely sliced potatoes in the dish, seasoning with salt and an occasional rasp of nutmeg as you go.
- Gently whisk 1 tsp plain flour into 150ml whipping cream, then add 2 tbsp water and pour it over the potatoes. Dot the potatoes with a little more butter, then cover with a sheet of baking paper so it’s touching the potatoes. Put 2cm water in the pressure cooker and add a trivet. Put the dish on top, close the lid and bring to high pressure. Cook for 8 minutes, then remove from the heat (or turn off) and let the pressure drop naturally. Put the dish under a hot grill to brown the top (if you want to).
“It’s up to you what type of potato you use – floury or waxy (floury potatoes release more starch and give a denser finish). It’s also optional whether you peel the potatoes or not. I tend not to because I want the nutrition from the skins.” – Catherine Phipps
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Fennel, taleggio, potato, parmesan and thyme gratin
You’re never going to stray far wrong with a bubbling,...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter