Pressure cooker kimchi and pork-belly soup
- January 2023
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min. Simmering time 15 min
Use your pressure cooker to make this hearty pork and kimchi soup in next to no time. Serve the spicy broth with a drizzle of chilli oil.
Recipe from Modern Pressure Cooking: The Comprehensive Guide to Stovetop and Electric Cookers, with Over 200 Recipes by Catherine Phipps (Quadrille, £26) Photography © Andrew Hayes-Watkins.
Have a bash at making homemade chilli oil.
- 16.9g (5.7g saturated)
- 13.2g (6g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive or groundnut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 200g lean or fatty belly pork (depending on taste), diced
- 1 tsp sugar or honey
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 25g fresh ginger, finely chopped (optional)
- 300g kimchi, roughly chopped (see intro on previous page)
- 1 litre stock (veg or chicken)
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 4 spring onions, halved and shredded lengthways
- Small bunch coriander, pulled into small sprigs
- Sesame oil or chilli oil to serve
- Heat the oil in the pressure cooker over a high heat, then add the onion and pork. Fry, stirring, until the pork is browned on all sides, then stir in the sugar or honey along with the garlic and, if using, ginger.
- Cook for a minute more, then add the kimchi. Pour in the stock/ water, then season with salt and pepper. Close the lid. Bring up to pressure and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to drop pressure naturally.
- Add the soy sauce, taste for seasoning, then serve topped with spring onions, coriander and a drizzle of your preferred oil.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter