Pork and prawn wonton soup
- February 2008
- 500ml vegetable stock
- ½ small Chinese leaf lettuce (about 100g), cut into 1cm slices
- 4 dried (and soaked for 10 minutes) or fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1-2 tbsp each light soy sauce and rice vinegar, to taste
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil, to taste
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
For the wontons
- 150g pork, minced
- 150g medium prawns, shelled, de-veined and finely chopped
- 1 large spring onion, finely chopped
- 1.5cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 16 wonton wrappers
- Mix all the wonton filling ingredients in a bowl. Put 1 teaspoon of filling in the centre of each wonton wrapper. Brush a little water along the edges of each wrapper, then gather the corners into the centre and twist to form small, sealed dumpling parcels.
- Pour the stock and 500ml boiling water into a large pan and bring to the boil. Add the dumplings, 1 at a time, and cook for 5 minutes, until they expand and float to the surface.
- Add the Chinese leaf and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the shiitake mushrooms. Season the broth to taste using the light soy sauce, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil and a pinch of ground white pepper.
- To serve, ladle 4 dumplings into each bowl with some soup and vegetables. Scatter with sliced spring onions and serve immediately.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Five-spice roast pork with miso soup
A warming bowlful of Chinese-style pork soup recipe that makes a filling but very healthy...
Pork, celery and water chestnut wontons with ma la chilli oil
This recipe was created by Ching-He Huang as part of a traditional Chinese New Year...