Pork and prawn wonton soup
- February 2008
- 500ml vegetable stock
- ½ small Chinese leaf lettuce (about 100g), cut into 1cm slices
- 4 dried (and soaked for 10 minutes) or fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1-2 tbsp each light soy sauce and rice vinegar, to taste
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil, to taste
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
For the wontons
- 150g pork, minced
- 150g medium prawns, shelled, de-veined and finely chopped
- 1 large spring onion, finely chopped
- 1.5cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 16 wonton wrappers
- Mix all the wonton filling ingredients in a bowl. Put 1 teaspoon of filling in the centre of each wonton wrapper. Brush a little water along the edges of each wrapper, then gather the corners into the centre and twist to form small, sealed dumpling parcels.
- Pour the stock and 500ml boiling water into a large pan and bring to the boil. Add the dumplings, 1 at a time, and cook for 5 minutes, until they expand and float to the surface.
- Add the Chinese leaf and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the shiitake mushrooms. Season the broth to taste using the light soy sauce, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil and a pinch of ground white pepper.
- To serve, ladle 4 dumplings into each bowl with some soup and vegetables. Scatter with sliced spring onions and serve immediately.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Five-spice roast pork with miso soup
A warming bowlful of Chinese-style pork soup recipe that makes a filling but very healthy...
Pork, celery and water chestnut wontons with ma la chilli oil
This recipe was created by Ching-He Huang as part of a traditional Chinese New Year...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...