Pumpkin, lamb and feta traybake
- October 2019
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 55 min
This is a really stunning but simple supper, made with seasonal ingredients and drizzled in a speedy salsa verde. We love it.
- 28.7g (9.9g saturated)
- 4.8g (3.4g sugars)
- 1kg pumpkin, deseeded and sliced into wedges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg British lamb rumps (about 4)
- 2 tbsp za’atar spice mix
- 100g feta, crumbled
- 50g macadamia nut halves or cashews, roughly chopped
For the salsa verde
- Large handful each fresh parsley, oregano, rosemary and mint leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 anchovy fillets in oil, drained and chopped
- 1 tsp dried sumac
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Toss the pumpkin wedges with 1 tbsp of the oil, then season. Spread out on a large roasting tray and roast for 20 minutes.
- Rub the lamb rumps with the za’atar and the remaining oil. When the pumpkin has been cooking for 20 minutes, add the lamb to the tray and roast for 30 more minutes for medium-rare. Remove the lamb from the roasting tray and put on a lipped board to rest for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the nuts over the pumpkin, then return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Put all the salsa verde ingredients in a food processor and whizz to a coarse paste (or pound in a large pestle and mortar).
- Slice the lamb and return to the pan with any resting juices. Crumble over the feta and drizzle with salsa verde to serve.
Make the salsa verde up to 1 day ahead, then cover and chill. It may lose a little of its vibrant green colour but it will retain its intense flavour.
Pick a lively Italian red such as a marzemino, dolcetto or barbera – or try a young rioja crianza.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pumpkin and peanut curry
This rich and cream pumpkin curry recipe is a perfect winter warmer. If you can’t...
Peter Gordon’s pumpkin, ginger, chickpea and cheese soup
This chunky pumpkin soup recipe by Peter Gordon could almost be a meal in itself –...