Pumpkin, poppy seed and lemon loaf
- November 2004
- for lots of people
- Ready in just over 1 hour
This moist, moreish pumpkin, poppy seed and lemon loaf is a lovely autumnal teatime treat. It’s also a great way to sneak more fruit and veg into your children’s diets!
- Vegetarian recipes
- 6.69g (3.1g saturated)
- 30.7g (16.6g sugar)
- 225g peeled and deseeded pumpkin or butternut squash, cubed
- 4 tbsp full fat milk
- 1 large egg
- 175g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 150g caster sugar
- 1½ tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- 50g unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- Grated zest of 1 small lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease a 900g loaf tin and line with baking paper or greaseproof paper, then grease well once more. Cook the pumpkin in boiling water for 10-15 minutes, until tender. Drain well and leave until the steam dies down, then blend to a smooth purée in a food processor. Scoop into a mixing bowl and mix in 3 tablespoons milk and the egg.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, sugar, mixed spice, nutmeg and seasoning into the cleaned bowl of the food processor. Add the butter and process until the mix looks like fine breadcrumbs. Add to the purée and stir until just mixed, adding the remaining milk if the mixture seems dry. Stir in the poppy seeds and grated lemon zest. Spoon the mix into the loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes until well risen and golden.
- Remove the cake from the tin and cool on a wire rack. Remove the paper and serve cut into slices.
The purée gives a wonderfully moist texture and will keep in an airtight tin for a week.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Carrot cake recipes
Eric Lanlard’s carrot and pumpkin celebration cake
Master pâtissier Eric Lanlard created this showstopping carrot cake for delicious. magazine’s 15th birthday. We...
Spiced pumpkin muffins with cream cheese icing
Use the pumpkin flesh from your Halloween lantern to rustle up these moist and moreish...