Quick steak fajitas with pickled red onions
- October 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
Easy, colourful and fresh, this steak fajita recipe uses Cajun seasoning and is finished off with soured cream and avocado.
- 12.2g fat (3.4g saturated)
- 34.7g protein
- 11.3g carbs (9g sugars)
- 3.1g fibre
- 0.6g salt
- 2 red onions
- 2 limes, plus extra for wedges
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 small red peppers
- 2 drizzles olive oil
- ½ -1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 3 large (200-220g each) British rump steaks
- Tortilla wraps, sliced avocado, soured cream, curly spring onions (see tips) and lime wedges to serve, if you like
- Slice 1 red onion thinly and put in a shallow glass/ceramic bowl with the juice from the 2 limes, sugar and plenty of salt. Toss and chill for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the other red onion and the peppers, heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan and fry over a high heat for 5 minutes, stirring, or until golden but still crunchy. Add the Cajun seasoning and cook over a low heat until fragrant. Tip into a bowl; cover with foil.
- Heat another drizzle of oil in the pan, season the steaks and fry on a high heat for 2 minutes on each side for medium rare (or longer). Rest on a plate.
- Squeeze the juice from the pickled onion and put in a bowl. Slice the steaks and toss with the warm onion and peppers, and the resting juices. Serve in tortillas, with extras of your choice (see our suggestions).
To make curly spring onions, shred finely, then soak in iced water for 20 minutes or until curled and crunchy.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Beef fajitas with avocado and sweetcorn salsa
Forget Friday night takeaways – this beef fajitas recipe takes just 30 minutes to make...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...