Red lentil and chicken curry
- April 2014
- Olive oil for frying
- 2 large red onions, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400g red lentils
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- 6 free-range skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2-3 tbsp madras curry paste (or use a milder one)
- 300g baby leaf spinach
- Thick natural yogurt to serve (optional)
- Heat a little olive oil in a very large pan, add the onions and garlic, then fry for 4-5 minutes until softened. Add the lentils and a little of the stock and simmer. Keep adding small amounts of stock, bit by bit, as the lentils cook and soften, as if you were cooking a risotto.
- Once the lentils start to break down, add the chicken and curry paste and stir well. Keep simmering and adding stock for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is cooked and you’ve added all the stock.
- Add the baby spinach at the Last minute, a handful at a time, season with salt and pepper and stir until the spinach has wilted. Serve immediately, with a dollop of yogurt on the side if you like.
You could swap the chicken for fish, seafood or tofu.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Moroccan red lentil and lamb stew
This pressure cooker stew recipe can also be made using a conventional oven. A wonderfully...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...