- November 2005
- Serves 4
- Ready in 1 ¼ hours
Rice payasam is a South Indian rice pudding recipe made with cardamom pods and cashew nuts.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 150g Patak’s Basmati Rice, washed
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 100g grated palm sugar (from Waitrose) or unrefined brown sugar
- 200ml full-fat milk
- Seeds from 5-6 green cardamom pods, ground
- 50g mix of cashew nuts and raisins
- Soak the rice in cold water for 30 minutes. Drain, put in a saucepan with the coconut milk and swish out the can with 100ml water. Cook over a medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender.
- Stir in the sugar until it dissolves. Add the milk and cook over a low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cardamom. Lightly dry-fry the cashews and raisins and stir through. Serve warm or chilled with mango.
Rate & review