Cardamom, coconut and lime rice pudding
- May 2015
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 40 min
This dessert recipe is inspired by Indian rice pudding (kheer). It’s sweetened with palm sugar and finished off with a sprinkling of pistachios.
- 19.2g (13.5g saturated)
- 51g (8.2g sugars)
For 6 servings
- 8 green cardamom pods
- 2 mace blades
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 400-450ml whole milk
- 400ml coconut milk
- 250g pudding rice
- Finely grated zest 2 limes
- 1½ tbsp caster sugar
- 3 tbsp palm sugar (see Know-how)
- 40g shelled pistachio nuts
- Crush the cardamom pods in a pestle and mortar. Put in a heavy- based saucepan with the mace, cinnamon and cloves. Toast over a medium heat, stirring, for about 1 minute until fragrant. Add 400ml milk and the coconut milk with a pinch of salt, then lower the heat. Simmer gently for 5-10 minutes until the milk has taken on the flavours of the spices. Strain the
- milk into a bowl (discard the spices).
- Return the infused milk to the pan. Add the rice and zest of 1 lime, then simmer over a low-medium heat for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed. If it starts to look a bit dry, you might need to add another splash or two of milk. Stir through the caster sugar once the rice is tender, to prevent it from burning.
- Meanwhile, crush the palm sugar and nuts in a pestle and mortar to make a coarse mix. Serve the pudding in shallow bowls topped with the remaining lime zest and a generous sprinkling of the nut crumble.
Palm sugar has a gentle caramel flavour. It’s available from most supermarket baking sections or world food sections. Buy the crystals rather than the wet sugar if you can. If you can’t find it, substitute with demerara.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pear and ginger Eve’s pudding with brown sugar custard
Debbie Major’s Eve’s pudding recipes replacing apples with pears and ginger and begs to be...
Blueberry, lemon curd and brioche bread-and-butter pudding
A light and airy, summery bread and butter pudding recipe made with brioche, blueberries and...