Roast chicken with chorizo stuffing
- May 2008
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 min to make and 1½ hours to roast
The chorizo stuffing gives this classic roast chicken recipe a flavour-packed punch.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 15.9g (4.5g saturated)
- 23.1g (3.2g sugars)
- 50g piece chorizo, roughly chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 40g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 3 pieces roasted red pepper in oil, drained and chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- 1.5kg whole free-range chicken
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 150ml red wine
- 600ml chicken stock, hot
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Mix together the chorizo, onion, breadcrumbs, red pepper, parsley and egg yolk, then season. Loosen the skin at the neck end and pack in the stuffing, forming a nice rounded shape. Fold the skin back down and secure it underneath the bird with a skewer or a couple of cocktail sticks.
- Pop the lemon quarters into the body cavity. Season the chicken, put in a roasting tin and cook for 1½ hours, until golden and cooked through. Rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, strain the juices and fat from the roasting tin and allow to settle. Skim off all but 3 tablespoons fat. Put the tin back on the hob, add the 3 tablespoons fat and whisk in the flour. Stir in the wine and bubble rapidly, then add the pan juices and stock, and cook for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the gravy and some roast potatoes and green beans, if you like.
Rate & review