Chinese chicken and spring onion salad
- July 2007
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 40 min, plus cooling
A refreshing, easy chicken and spring onion salad recipe for a taste of China that’s a fraction of the cost of a takeaway.
Why not try adding another dish, such as this Chinese orange beef stir-fry, to your Saturday night takeaway feast?
- Dairy-free recipes
- 12.6g (2.2g saturated)
- 9.8g (8.8g sugars)
- 2 chicken legs, skin on
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for oiling
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 4 tbsp reduced-salt soy sauce
- 2 tsp light muscovado sugar
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2.5cm piece fresh ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into matchsticks
- 1 mild long red chilli, finely sliced on the diagonal
- 5 spring onions with green tops, finely sliced on the diagonal
- Handful fresh coriander leaves
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Brush the chicken legs with the extra oil and season well. Place in a small roasting tin and roast in the hot oven for 40 min or until cooked through and the skin is crisp and golden. Set aside to cool for 15 min.
- In a large bowl, mix together the remaining vegetable oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar and garlic to make a dressing. Season and add the ginger, pepper, chilli, most of the spring onion slices and all of the coriander leaves.
- Shred the chicken into chunky pieces and add to the bowl. Lightly mix together, then spoon into shallow bowls. Garnish with the remaining spring onion and serve with some cooked rice.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chinese chicken with noodles
A restorative and soul-warming broth recipe made with fresh ginger, spring onions and the juiciest...