Roast chicken with red cabbage waldorf
- February 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 20-25 min
Take four chicken breasts and throw together a hearty salad full of crunch and fresh flavours with this homemade chicken waldorf salad recipe, made with red cabbage.
Or, try this veggie variation of waldorf salad, with new potatoes.
- 31g (3.4g saturated)
- 23.2g (22.6g sugars)
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 free-range skinless chicken breasts
- 6 tbsp walnut halves
- 100g natural yogurt
- 100g mayonnaise
- 1 small red cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 granny smith apples, finely sliced
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 4 tbsp raisins
- Handful of freshly chopped flatleaf parsley
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Mix the 1 tbsp of the dijon mustard with the oil and plenty of seasoning, then rub it over the chicken breasts and put on a baking sheet lined with compostable baking paper. Roast for 20-25 minutes until cooked through and a little charred.
- Meanwhile, spread the walnut halves on a small tray and roast in the oven on a lower shelf for the final 5 minutes of the chicken cooking time. Mix the remaining tbsp of dijon mustard with the natural yogurt, mayonnaise and plenty of seasoning until smooth. Add the red cabbage, apples, celery, raisins and most of the walnuts, then toss to coat.
- Slice the chicken, then divide the salad among 4 plates and top with the chicken. Sprinkle over the remaining walnut halves and parsley to serve.
Leftover chicken and salad will keep covered and chilled separately for up to 2 days.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Brined roast chicken with a classic waldorf salad
Debbie Major’s summer roast recipe uses brined chicken – adding juiciness and flavour. Served alongside a...
Waldorf salad with smoked ham
This classic American salad is much better served with home-made mayonnaise, and our special recipe...
Waldorf potato salad
The traditional Waldorf salad recipe is usually a mixture of apples, celery and walnuts but...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...