Roast onion squash stuffed with blue cheese risotto
- January 2012
- Serves 2
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 1 hour 5 minutes to cook
Blue cheese risotto served in an onion squash (or just a small squash) makes a tasty and impressive vegetarian meal.
- 19.6g (9.3g saturated)
- 60.5g (13.3g sugars)
- 2 small squash, such as onion squash (about 500g each)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Good knob of butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100g risotto rice
- 50ml dry white wine
- 250ml vegetable stock, hot
- 50g baby spinach
- 8-10 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped, plus extra whole leaves fried in butter to serve
- 50g blue cheese, such as Gorgonzola or Stilton, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Slice the tops off the squash and set aside. Scoop out the seeds and discard, then place the squash on a baking sheet (slice a bit off the bottoms if they sit unevenly).
- In a pan, gently fry the onion in the butter and oil for 5 minutes until translucent, then add the risotto rice and stir to coat in buttery onion.
- Pour in the wine and bubble, stirring, until absorbed. Pour in the stock, then add the baby spinach, stirring until it starts to wilt. Season well, then stir in the chopped sage. Divide the risotto mixture evenly between the squash. Replace the squash tops to form lids and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes until the risotto is cooked and the squash is tender when pierced with a knife. (Check regularly while the squash is cooking and if it looks like it’s darkening too fast, cover the squash with foil for the remainder of the cooking time.)
- Remove the squash from the oven, take off the lids and crumble the blue cheese over the risotto. Pop the lids back on and put back in the oven for another 5 minutes to melt the cheese. Remove from the oven, stir the melted cheese into the risotto and serve garnished with whole fried sage leaves.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas leftover recipes
Leftover Christmas veggie traybake with cranberry and brie
Use up your leftover Christmas veg in the best way! Mix up some festive veggies,...
Vegan Christmas recipes
Vegan miso mushroom, squash and chestnut wellington
This vegan wellington makes a standout centrepiece whatever the occasion. A mixture of miso mushrooms,...