Roast squash with pumpkin seed pesto
- January 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 40 min
A hearty winter salad recipe made with red onion, pearl barley, feta cheese and a homemade pumpkin seed pesto.
- 26g(6.5g saturated)
- 56.4g (7.4g sugars)
- 1 medium onion squash (about 500g) – see tips
- 1 red onion
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 200g pearl barley or spelt
- 100g pumpkin seeds
- 25g fresh basil, plus extra to serve
- 25g fresh mint, plus extra to serve
- ½ lemon
- 100g feta cheese
- Heat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Cut the top off the squash, halve (discard the seeds), then cut into wedges. Peel the onion and slice into wedges. Mix the veg in a roasting tin with a glug of oil. Season. Roast for 40 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Simmer the grains in a pan of lightly salted water for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain, season and drizzle with oil.
- Whizz 75g of the pumpkin seeds, 2-3 tbsp olive oil, the leaves from the herbs and the juice of the lemon in a mini food processor, or bash in a pestle and mortar. Taste and season. If it’s too thick, loosen with 1-2 tbsp water – it should have a drizzling consistency.
- Put the grains on a serving dish and put the veg on top. Pat dry the feta, then crumble over. Drizzle over the pesto, add the remaining pumpkin seeds and herbs, then serve.
You don’t need to peel the squash. Can’t find onion squash? Use butternut but cook for 10 minutes more.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter