Squash, blue cheese and sage risotto
- October 2011
- Serves 4
- 15 minutes to make, 35-40 minutes to cook
This squash and blue cheese risotto recipe is comfort food at its best.
- 17.1g (7.9g saturated)
- 52.3g (5.9 sugars)
- 1.1-1.2 litres good quality chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage, plus 6 small leaves
- 450g prepared squash, cut into 1cm pieces
- 225g risotto rice, such as arborio
- 25g finely grated Parmesan
- 50g tangy blue cheese, such as Gorgonzola piccante, broken into hazelnut-size pieces
- Bring the stock to the boil in a pan and keep hot over a low heat. Heat the oil and half the butter in another pan. Add the onion and garlic, then cook over a medium heat for 5-6 minutes until soft but not brown. Add the sage and squash, then fry for 1 minute.
- Add the rice and stir until all the grains are coated in oil and butter. Add a ladleful of hot stock and stir until all the stock has been absorbed before adding another. Continue like this for about 20-25 minutes, stirring constantly, until the rice is creamy and tender but still has a little bite.
- Stir in the Parmesan, blue cheese and the rest of the butter. Season. Finely shred the 6 sage leaves and stir most of them in. Spoon onto warm plates and serve scattered with the remaining sage.
For best results, make your own stock.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegetarian comfort food recipes
Baked gnocchi with cream, mushrooms and blue cheese sauce
This recipe of soft, pillowy gnocchi baked in a creamy blue cheese mushroom sauce is...
Vegetarian Christmas dinner recipes
Roast onion squash stuffed with blue cheese risotto
Blue cheese risotto served in an onion squash (or just a small squash) makes a...