Roasted chicken and leek fusilli pie
- May 2009
- Serves 6
- Takes 15 min to make, 50-55 min to cook
Is it pasta or is it a pie? It’s both! This pasta-topped chicken pie is also great to freeze and defrost as required. You can use other pasta shapes too, it doesn’t have to be fusilli if you don’t have it.
- 27.6g (13.9g saturated)
- 52.2g (4.2g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 large, skinless chicken thigh fillets, cubed
- 2 red potatoes, diced
- 1 red onion, thickly sliced
- 2 leeks, washed and thickly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 250g fusilli or other pasta shape
- 100g frozen peas
- 150ml chicken stock, hot
- 200g crème fraîche
- 75g grated Fontina or Gruyère
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a 1.2-litre ovenproof dish. Stir in the chicken, potatoes, onion, leek, garlic, bay leaf, flour and some seasoning. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden, stirring once or twice.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling, slightly salted water for 10 minutes until just about done but still firm in the centre, then drain well.
- Stir the peas, stock and crème fraîche into the chicken mixture, then top with the pasta. Drizzle over the remaining olive oil, then bake for a further 20 minutes. Scatter over the cheese and return to the oven for 5 minutes until bubbling and golden.
- Cool the dish completely, then wrap well in cling film and freeze for up to 2 months. Defrost thoroughly before reheating at 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5 for 25 minutes until piping hot – cover with kitchen foil if it’s browning too much.
Slightly undercook the pasta – it will finish cooking in the oven.
Baking the pasta dishes before freezing prevents the pasta sticking together.
You can reheat these in the microwave. Defrost, cover with cling film and cook for 4-5 minutes or until piping hot.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...