Roasted tomato soup with croutons
- September 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 10 min, oven time 40 min
Use up overripe tomatoes in this comforting tomato soup. Roasting the tomatoes provides extra flavour while the croutons add a satisfying crunch. Double the recipe and freeze the leftovers for an easy midweek dinner.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 13.9g (3.1g saturated)
- 16.1g (7.2g sugars)
- 800g-1kg large ripe vine tomatoes (or a mix of different tomatoes), halved
- 2 celery sticks, cut into chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 fresh oregano sprigs
- 4 fresh tarragon sprigs
- Glug olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- Splash red wine vinegar
For the croutons
- 2 thick sourdough bread slices, torn into rough chunks
- Olive oil to drizzle
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves chopped, plus a few extra leaves
- 2 tbsp finely grated parmesan or vegetarian alternative
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the tomatoes, cut-side up, in a roasting tin so they fit in one snug layer. Add the celery, garlic, herbs and a glug of olive oil, season well with salt and pepper and roast for 40 minutes until soft and squidgy.
- Meanwhile, put the sourdough chunks on a separate baking tray and drizzle with a little oil. Season, then scatter over the chopped rosemary and cheese. Toast in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden brown and crunchy. Set aside.
- Once the tomatoes have roasted, spoon them and any ingredients/juices from the roasting tin into a bowl with the red wine vinegar, then whizz to your desired texture with a stick blender. (Or use a blender/food processor – remove the small cap from the top to leave a hole and cover with a folded tea towel, to prevent the soup spraying out.) Serve hot, sprinkled with the croutons and a few rosemary leaves.
This recipe is great for using up past-their-salad-best tomatoes.
Make the soup, then cool and chill in a sealed container for up to 3 days. Or freeze in batches and defrost in the fridge, then reheat in a pan.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...