Roasted vegetable and goat’s cheese lasagne
- May 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 30 minutes to make, about 1½ hours to cook
It might be a little unorthodox, but the addition of tangy goat’s cheese in this vegetarian lasagne recipe take it to a whole new level.
Give it a go, or try our roasted vegetable and lentil lasagne for another knockout veggie twist on this classic.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 47.6g (26.2g saturated)
- 54.7g (24.8g sugars)
- 2 red onions, cut into thin wedges
- 2 courgettes, cut into medium chunks
- 1 large aubergine, cut into medium pieces
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper, cut into strips
- 500g cherry tomatoes, 400g halved, 100g quartered, for the topping
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Large pinch of chilli flakes
- Leaves of 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1-2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp capers, drained, rinsed and chopped
- 40g unsalted butter
- 40g plain flour
- 700ml whole milk
- Fresh nutmeg, to grate
- 75g grated vegetarian Parmesan or Pecorino
- 250g soft goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 8 (220g) fresh lasagne sheets or buy some ready-made
- Put the onion, courgette, aubergine, peppers and halved tomatoes in a large roasting tin. Toss with the garlic, chilli, herbs and oil, and season with pepper. Roast for 30-35 minutes until tender. Stir in the canned tomatoes, capers and 2 tbsp water.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Stir in the flour to make a paste, then cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Off the heat, gradually stir in the milk until you have a smooth sauce. Return to the heat, stirring, for a few minutes to thicken the sauce. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir in the vegetarian Parmesan.
- Divide half of the roasted veg among 4 x 400ml ovenproof dishes. Dot over a third of the goat’s cheese, then top with half the lasagne sheets and a third of the sauce. Repeat, ending with a layer of sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining goat’s cheese, then dot with the quartered cherry tomatoes and thyme leaves. Cool, wrap in cling film, then freeze for up to 3 months.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Bake from frozen for 1 hour, or 30 minutes from fresh, until golden and piping hot all the way through.
Rate & review