Rose petal jam crescents
- December 2022
- Makes 16
- Hands-on time 15 min, plus 1 hour chilling. Oven time 15-18 min
“Beloved all over Romania, there are many local variations on these jam crescents, but no Christmas table is complete without them,” says food writer Irina Georgescu.
Recipe from Tava by Irina Georgescu (Hardie Grant £27).
Mill wheels (chocolate and hazlenut meringues) are another festive Romanian treat. Get the recipe here.
- 7.9g (4.8g saturated)
- 19.8g (7.7g sugars)
- 250g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 125g unsalted butter
- 20g golden caster sugar
- 1 medium free-range egg yolk
- 75g soured cream
- 1 tbsp rosewater
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150g rose petal confiture or jam, or 9 pieces Turkish delight, diced
- Icing sugar to dust
- Dried rose petals to decorate (optional)
- In a bowl, rub together the flour and butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the sugar, egg yolk, soured cream, rosewater and baking powder, then mix until a dough forms. Bring the dough together by hand without kneading too much. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 160°C fan/ gas 4. Line a baking sheet with baking paper and lightly flour your work surface.
- Divide the pastry dough in half. Keep one half in the fridge while you roll out the other into a circle at least 24cm in diameter – use a plate as a template. Divide the circle into quarters, then cut each quarter in half again to create 8 wedges of pastry. Put 1 tsp of jam (or a few pieces of Turkish delight) at the wider end of each wedge, then roll up. Press to seal the edges and put on a baking sheet. Repeat with the second half of the pastry dough.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes on a lower shelf in the oven until lightly golden and just firm enough to the touch for you to be able to lift them quickly onto a cooling rack. They will firm up more as they cool. Serve slightly warm, dusted with icing sugar and, if you like, decorated with rose petals.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas baking recipes
Romanian mill wheels (chocolate and hazelnut meringues)
Food writer Irina Georgescu shares her recipe for traditional Romanian...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter