Sweet golden dumplings with ginger sauce
- December 2022
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 min, plus cooling and proving. Oven time 25-30 min
These golden, sweet dumplings are a Christmas favourite in Hungary and Romania. Serve the warm, yeasted buns with a jug of vanilla sauce.
Recipe from Tava by Irina Georgescu (Hardie Grant £27).
Mill wheels (chocolate and hazlenut meringues) are another festive Romanian treat. Get the recipe here.
- 14.2g (7.1g saturated)
- 66.9g (19.7g sugars)
For the dough
- 350g plain flour
- 7g fast action dried yeast
- 125ml whole milk
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp rum
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted, plus extra to brush and grease
For the sauce
- 300ml whole milk
- 3 medium free-range egg yolks
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 4 tsp plain flour
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp ground ginger, or more to taste
- Icing sugar to dust
You’ll also need
- 20cm round baking dish
- In a mixing bowl or stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine all the dough ingredients apart from the butter and knead/work until they form a soft dough. Add the melted butter little by little, incorporating it well after each addition. Knead/work for about 5 minutes, then cover and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Grease the round baking dish with butter. Tear off a 50g piece of dough and form into a ball. Roll it briefly in a little more melted butter and put it in the
dish. Repeat with the rest of the dough, arranging the balls in a circular fashion with one in the middle (you should get around 12 balls in total). Cover and leave to prove in a warm place for 30 minutes until doubled in size. The balls will join together to form a tear-and-share loaf.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 160°C fan/gas 4. Once the dough has doubled in size, bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and set aside while you make the sauce.
- Put the milk in a pan and bring to a gentle simmer. In a heatproof bowl, beat the yolks with the rest of the sauce ingredients (apart from the icing sugar) to a runny consistency. Slowly pour the milk over the yolk mixture, stirring constantly, then transfer the mixture back into the pan. Simmer over a low heat, without boiling, until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Lightly dust the warm buns with icing sugar. To serve, tear off 2 buns and put them in the centre of a plate, then pour the sauce around it.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas baking recipes
Romanian mill wheels (chocolate and hazelnut meringues)
Food writer Irina Georgescu shares her recipe for traditional Romanian...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter