Rum and pineapple Christmas pudding
- November 2019
- Makes 2 x 1 litre puddings (each serves 6)
- Hands-on time 30 min, steaming time 5 hours, plus overnight soaking
An irresistible and boozy Christmas pudding. You can make this pudding up to three months in advance. Remember that you’ll need to soak the mix overnight before you get to step 2.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 25g (12.3g saturated)
- 46.6g (33.4g sugars)
- 250g mixture sultanas and currants
- 75g blanched almonds, roughly chopped
- 175g dried ready-to-eat pineapple
- Finely grated zest 2 limes
- 100ml pineapple juice
- 75g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 100g unrefined molasses sugar (we used Billington’s)
- 100ml dark rum
- 100ml coconut milk or milk
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 250g vegetable suet
- 4 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- Butter for greasing
You’ll also need…
- 2 x 1 litre pudding basins, buttered; 2 sheets buttered baking paper; 2 sheets foil; kitchen string
- Put the dried fruit, nuts and pineapple in a large bowl. Add the lime zest, pineapple juice, breadcrumbs, allspice, sugar, rum and milk. Mix well, cover and leave overnight to soak.
- The next day, mix in the remaining ingredients, then fill the basins two-thirds full. For each pudding, put a sheet of foil on the worktop and place a sheet of baking paper on top, buttered side up. Fold a pleat down the centre of both sheets (to allow for expansion), then cover the basin buttered-side down. Tie kitchen string tightly around the rim of the basin to secure the sheets, looping to form a handle (see tip). Trim the sheets so they don’t touch the water during cooking.
- For each pudding, put an upturned saucer or trivet inside a large pan with a lid, then sit the pudding on top. Pour boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the basin. Cover, then bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer, then steam for 5 hours, topping up with boiling water if needed. See Make Ahead for how to store for maturing, and how to re-steam and serve.
To watch how to get your pud ready for cooking, see how to wrap a pudding for steaming.
Cool the puddings, foil and baking paper intact, and store in a cool place for up to 3 months. To reheat, steam as in step 3 for 1 .5 hours. Turn out onto a serving dish, giving the basin a sharp shake to release the pudding.
Rate & review