Sausage and mash pie
- May 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 25-30 min
We’ve taken bangers and mash to the next level with our easy pie recipe. On the table and ready to eat in less than hour it’s perfect for any night of the week.
- 27.9g (9.8g saturated)
- 47.4g (10g sugars)
- 3-4 large potatoes (about 700g), peeled and chopped into chunks
- 3 red onions, thickly sliced
- 8 sausages, cut into thirds
- 250ml wine-rich ready-made thick gravy (we like Truefoods, from Ocado)
- 15g cheddar, grated (optional)
From the storecupboard
- Olive oil for frying
- Steamed green vegetables
You’ll also need…
- 1.2 litre baking dish
- Put the potatoes in a medium pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain, then return to the saucepan and leave to dry out a little before mashing.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. In a large frying pan, heat a glug of oil, then fry the onions for 6-8 minutes. Add the sausages and fry over a medium-high heat for 5-8 minutes until browned.
- Add the gravy to the pan, simmer for 3-4 minutes, season, then pour into the baking dish. Top with the mashed potato and sprinkle with cheese, if using.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the top is golden and crisp and the filling is hot. Serve with steamed green vegetables.
For a creamier topping, mash the potatoes with a knob of butter and a generous splash of milk.
Rate & review