Sausage and butter bean bake
- August 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
This garlicky sausage and butter bean bake only needs one pan and can be on the table in just over 30 minutes. A midweek winner.
Loved this? Try our budget-friendly sausage and bean casserole next.
- 40.4g (20.2g saturated)
- 36.5g (4g sugars)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 8 good quality pork sausages
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes with herbs and garlic
- Pinch sugar (optional)
- 400g tin butter beans
- 100g cherry tomatoes (optional)
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 20g mixed herbs, leaves picked and chopped – we used rosemary, thyme and sage
- 20g parmesan, finely grated
You’ll also need
- Large hob-safe casserole (about 30cm) with a lid
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a hob-safe casserole over a medium heat. Add the sausages and cook for 5-8 minutes, turning, until browned. Set aside.
- Add another 1 tbsp oil and the onions to the casserole. Cover and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes. Stir in 2 of the crushed garlic cloves and cook for another few minutes.
- Add the red wine vinegar, chopped tomatoes, 200ml water and sugar (if you like) to the casserole. Bring to a simmer, then cook on a medium-high heat for 5 minutes until thickened and slightly reduced. Stir in the butter beans, cherry tomatoes (if using) and sausages, then reduce the heat slightly and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the sausages are cooked through.
- Heat the grill to medium. Combine the breadcrumbs, herbs and parmesan in a bowl with the remaining oil and crushed garlic, with a good pinch of salt. Sprinkle the mixture over the sausage casserole, then put under the grill for 5 minutes until crisp and golden. (Alternatively, warm the oil in a separate frying pan, add the breadcrumbs and stir-fry until golden and toasted, then stir in the remaining ingredients and sprinkle over the bake.)
Easy swaps: Substitute the pork sausages with veggie or chicken alternatives – they won’t need to cook for as long in step 1.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Red wine sausage bake with herby breadcrumbs
This easy tray bake sees sausages and onions cooked in red wine until caramelised and...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...