Sausage and butter bean bake
- August 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
This garlicky sausage and butter bean bake only needs one pan and can be on the table in just over 30 minutes. A midweek winner.
Loved this? Try our budget-friendly sausage and bean casserole next.
- 40.4g (20.2g saturated)
- 36.5g (4g sugars)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 8 good quality pork sausages
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes with herbs and garlic
- Pinch sugar (optional)
- 400g tin butter beans
- 100g cherry tomatoes (optional)
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 20g mixed herbs, leaves picked and chopped – we used rosemary, thyme and sage
- 20g parmesan, finely grated
You’ll also need
- Large hob-safe casserole (about 30cm) with a lid
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a hob-safe casserole over a medium heat. Add the sausages and cook for 5-8 minutes, turning, until browned. Set aside.
- Add another 1 tbsp oil and the onions to the casserole. Cover and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes. Stir in 2 of the crushed garlic cloves and cook for another few minutes.
- Add the red wine vinegar, chopped tomatoes, 200ml water and sugar (if you like) to the casserole. Bring to a simmer, then cook on a medium-high heat for 5 minutes until thickened and slightly reduced. Stir in the butter beans, cherry tomatoes (if using) and sausages, then reduce the heat slightly and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the sausages are cooked through.
- Heat the grill to medium. Combine the breadcrumbs, herbs and parmesan in a bowl with the remaining oil and crushed garlic, with a good pinch of salt. Sprinkle the mixture over the sausage casserole, then put under the grill for 5 minutes until crisp and golden. (Alternatively, warm the oil in a separate frying pan, add the breadcrumbs and stir-fry until golden and toasted, then stir in the remaining ingredients and sprinkle over the bake.)
Easy swaps: Substitute the pork sausages with veggie or chicken alternatives – they won’t need to cook for as long in step 1.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Red wine sausage bake with herby breadcrumbs
This easy tray bake sees sausages and onions cooked in red wine until caramelised and...