Spanish chicken and potato stew
- March 2006
- Serves 4
- Takes 45 min to make, 40 min on the hob
Spicy chorizo sausage gives this Spanish chicken recipe its distinctive flavour and rich colour. Make it in advance and freeze for when you can’t find time to cook.
- 24.1g (3.9g saturated)
- 37.9g (8.7g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pack of 8 chicken pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 110g chorizo, cut into small dice
- 100ml white wine
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- Few thyme sprigs, plus extra leaves to garnish
- 2 bay leaves
- 100ml fresh chicken stock
- Good pinch of sugar
- 650g potatoes, cut into rough chunks
- Handful black olives (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, then brown the chicken all over – in batches if necessary. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened and lightly browned.
- Add the chorizo and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the wine and reduce by half. Stir in the tomatoes, thyme, bay leaves, stock and sugar. Return the chicken to the pan and push under the sauce. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the potatoes and olives and cook for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and season. Spoon into a freezer-proof container and cool. Wrap, label and freeze.
- The day before you eat, thaw in a cool place overnight (it takes longer in the fridge). The next day, spoon into a saucepan, cover, and simmer for 35-40 minutes until cooked through. Garnish with thyme leaves.
To eat straightaway, continue cooking the stew at step 3 for 35 minutes instead of 5 minutes, then garnish with thyme leaves.
Freeze for up to 1 month, then defrost for 24 hours and reheat for 40 minutes
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...