Sausage and bean casserole
- September 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 5 minutes to make, 35-40 minutes to cook, plus freezing and defrosting
Use the ultimate tomato sauce recipe as a base for this freezable sausage casserole recipe made with butterbeans.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 54.7g (13.7g saturated)
- 36.5g (18.6g sugars)
- 1 portion Ultimate tomato sauce, or 1 litre pasta sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 herby sausages
- 200ml red wine
- Large handful fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped, plus extra to serve
- 400g can butter beans, drained and rinsed
- Place the tomato sauce in a big freezer bag or sealable plastic container. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the sausages for 10 minutes until browned all over.
- Add the red wine and parsley and bubble until reduced by two-thirds, then add to the sauce with the butter beans. Make sure the sausages are covered by the sauce. Allow to cool, then seal and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Defrost in the fridge overnight, then place in a saucepan, cover and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10-12 minutes until piping hot. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with crusty bread or baked potatoes.
Rate & review