- April 2020
- Serves four
- Hands-on time 30 min
Crumbled sausagemeat and passata come together to create a mighty filling in this budget-friendly sausage cannelloni recipe. Pasta tubes are stuffed with the filling, assembled in a dish and then covered with mascarpone and parmesan before going under the grill to bubble and bake.
This is comfort food at its finest and all it requires of you is 30 minutes of your time.
- 30.8g (15g saturated)
- 200g cannelloni pasta tubes
- 1⁄2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic gloves, finely chopped
- 3 thyme sprigs, leaves stripped
- 6 x British outdoor-bred pork sausages, skin removed
- 700g passata with basil
- 2 tbsp finely chopped basil, plus extra leaves to serve
- 100g mascarpone
- 20ml hot fresh chicken stock
- 20g finely grated parmesan
- Heat the grill to high. Cook the cannelloni in a pan of salted water for 4-5 minutes until just soft, then drain. Run under cold water to separate, drain again and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the onion for 7-8 minutes until softening, then add the garlic and thyme and cook for a minute.
- Crumble in the sausagemeat and fry for 3-4 minutes until browned. Add 500g of the passata and some salt and pepper, then simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the basil.
- Pour the remaining passata into the baking dish, then fill each cannelloni tube with sausage sauce and put in the dish in a single layer.
- Whisk the mascarpone and stock in a small bowl, then spoon over the top of the pasta tubes. Scatter over the parmesan, then grill for 4-5 minutes until lightly golden and bubbling. Scatter extra basil leaves on top and serve with a green salad.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...