Sausage rolls with a ham and cheddar crust
- May 2011
- Makes 12 rolls
- Hands on time 30 mins, 15-18 mins cooking time, plus chilling
These easy sausage rolls with ham and cheddar crust make a delightful party snack with a difference!
- 18.2g (8.1g saturated)
- 16.6g (1.3g sugars)
- 500g pack ready-made puff pastry
- Plain flour for dusting
- 8 Parma ham slices
- 65g finely grated mature Cheddar
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
For the filling
- 500g good-quality sausage meat
- 2 small red onions, finely chopped
- Large bunch of fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tsp English mustard
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface into a 60cm x 24cm rectangle. Lay the Parma ham slices over one half, overlapping them slightly, and sprinkle with the cheese. Fold the uncovered pastry over to sandwich the ham and cheese, then press down around the edges to seal.
- Roll out the pastry parcel to form a slightly larger rectangle, about 33cm x 28cm. Slice in half to make two 33cm x 14cm strips.
- Mix the filling ingredients in a large bowl and season. Divide in half, then roll each half into a 33cm log using damp hands. Lay a log along the middle of each pastry strip. Brush the pastry edges with a little beaten egg, then fold over to enclose the meat (with the join underneath). Seal well and, using a sharp, floured knife, cut each log into 6 rolls, each 5.5cm long. Brush with the rest of the egg, then chill for 20 minutes. Put a baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 220°C/200°C/gas 7.
- Lightly score the tops of the rolls with a knife, then transfer to the hot baking sheet. Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden, risen and piping hot. Cool a little before serving warm, or leave to cool completely.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...