Creamy blueberry tart
- August 2015
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 45 min, plus chilling
A crispy pastry case is filled with a creamy mixture and topped with blueberries before baking; a gorgeous make-ahead dessert recipe perfect for an alfresco lunch or dinner.
For a more rustic look, try our blueberry galette recipe.
- 27.7g (16.8g saturated)
- 37.6g (18.8g sugars)
- 300g fresh blueberries
- 150ml soured cream or crème fraîche
- 75ml double cream
- 1 large free-range egg, plus
- 1 extra yolk, beaten
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 75g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 3-4 tsp schnapps or kirsch
For the pastry
- 175g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 50g icing sugar
- 100g chilled butter, cut into small
- pieces, plus extra for greasing
- 1 medium free-range egg yolk
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 2-3 tsp cold water
You’ll also need
- 23cm loose-bottomed tart tin, 5cm deep
- For the pastry, put the flour, a pinch of salt and the icing sugar into a food processor. Add the butter and process briefly until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Beat the egg yolk with the vanilla, add it to the bowl, then pulse briefly, adding just enough of the cold water to make the pastry start to clump together. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead together quickly until smooth, then chill for 15-20 minutes.
- Roll out the chilled dough to the thickness of a £1 coin, then use to line a lightly buttered 23cm x 5cm deep loose-bottomed tart tin. Prick the base all over with a fork, then chill for 20 minutes more.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/ gas 6 with a baking sheet inside. Line the tart case with crumpled baking paper and baking beans, then bake for 15 minutes until the pastry edges are biscuit-coloured. Remove the paper and beans, protect the browned edges with strips of foil, then bake for 5-6 minutes until the base is crisp and golden. Set aside.
- Scatter the blueberries over the base of the pastry case (depending on their size you might need more or less to get an even layer). Mix the soured cream/crème fraîche, double cream, egg and egg yolk, flour, sugar, vanilla and alcohol in a bowl until smooth. Pour the mixture over the berries, then bake the tart for about 25 minutes until the filling has set and the top is golden. Sprinkle with a little more caster sugar and serve warm or at room temperature.
Make the pastry 1 day ahead and put in the fridge. Remove 5-10 minutes before rolling.
Rate & review