Seared scallops on pea and mint risotto
- November 2007
- Serves 6
- Ready in 35 minutes
Lightly seared scallops sit on a summery risotto flavoured with peas and fresh mint. It’s a lovely dish – impressive, but easy to make
- 15g unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 300g roeless scallops, thawed if frozen
- Fresh baby mint leaves, to serve
For the pea and mint risotto
- 1.2 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- 75g butter
- 8 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 225g risotto rice
- 50ml dry white vermouth or white wine
- 225g freshly shelled or frozen peas
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 25g Parmesan, finely grated
- Make the risotto. Put the chicken or vegetable stock in a saucepan, bring to the boil and keep hot over a low heat.
- Melt 50g of the butter in a medium pan, add the spring onions and cook gently for 1 minute. Add the rice and stir until all the grains are coated in butter. Add the vermouth or white wine and simmer, stirring, until it has nearly disappeared. Add a ladleful of stock and stir over a medium heat until it is nearly all absorbed, then add another. Continue like this for 20-25 minutes or until al dente.
- Meanwhile, cook the peas in a pan of boiling salted water for 4-5 minutes, until tender. Drain well, tip into a food processor and add the remaining butter and chopped mint. Process until smooth, then set aside.
- When the risotto has 4 minutes to go, heat a large non-stick, heavy-based frying pan over a high heat until smoking hot. Reduce the heat to medium-high, add the butter, olive oil and half the scallops and sear for 1 minute, seasoning with salt and pepper as they cook. Quickly turn them over, season again and cook for another minute. Spoon them onto a plate and keep warm while you cook the remainder.
- When the rice is tender but still a little al dente in the centre, stir in the pea purée, Parmesan and salt and pepper. Spoon onto 6 warmed serving plates and pile the scallops on top. Serve immediately, scattered with baby mint leaves.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Scallops with lemon, basil and chilli brown butter
We used delicious. Produce Award-winning scallops, from The Ethical Shellfish Company, to create this simple...
Fennel and mascarpone risotto with scallops and prosciutto
This luxurious risotto recipe works well as an indulgent supper or as a dinner party...