Scallops with lemon, basil and chilli brown butter
- July 2017
- Serves 4 as a starter
- Hands-on time 25 min
We used delicious. Produce Award-winning scallops, from The Ethical Shellfish Company, to create this simple starter recipe. The scallops are served in their shells for extra wow-factor and drizzled in a lemon, basil and chilli brown butter.
We strongly suggest you try our scallops with anchovy butter too….
- Gluten-free recipes
- 19.7g (10.6g saturated)
- 1.7g (1.3g sugars)
- 75g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- Small bunch fresh basil leaves, shredded, plus extra to serve
- ½-1 tsp chilli flakes (to taste)
- 4 small courgettes (about 500g)
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- Extra-virgin olive oil to dress
- 8 The Ethical Shellfish Company king scallops (or any hand-dived king scallops), roes attached, shells cleaned and reserved
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the butter, lemon zest, basil and chilli, then season well with salt and black pepper (see make ahead).
- Shave the courgettes into ribbons using a vegetable peeler and put in a mixing bowl. Toss with the lemon juice, garlic and some extra-virgin olive oil. Fry in a wide frying pan over a medium heat until slightly softened (about 2 minutes).
- Meanwhile, melt the flavoured butter in a large frying pan over a high heat, then add the scallops. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, then scoop out the scallops and transfer each one to a reserved shell. Allow the butter left in the pan to brown slightly (don’t let it burn), then pour over the scallops. Serve with the courgettes and extra basil leaves.
Spoon the butter into the middle of a sheet of non-stick baking paper and roll the butter into a cylinder shape (step 1). Twist each end of the paper and tie with string to seal, then keep in the fridge for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Rate & review