Sichuan beef noodles
- July 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 mins
“Noodles are my perfect craving at the end of an evening, and these sichuan beef noodles are loaded with easy ingredients, rich flavours and a kick from the sichuan peppercorns.” – Donal Skehan
For more of Donal’s recipes, visit donalskehan.com
- 23.8g (7.5g saturated)
- 36.9g (13.2g sugars)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 340g British beef or pork mince
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Chinese five spice powder
- 2 tsp sichuan peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tbsp light brown muscovado sugar
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 2 pak choi, halved
- 400g cooked flat rice noodles (or use straight to wok noodles)
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- Small handful fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Handful peanuts, chopped
- Heat a large non-stick pan or wok over a medium heat with 1⁄2 tbsp oil, add the mince and fry for 5-6 minutes until well browned and any liquid has cooked off. Stir in the garlic, chilli, five spice, sichuan peppercorns and sugar. Cook until sizzling and combined. Put on a plate and keep warm. Keep the pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk the hoisin, soy and peanut butter with 100ml water to create a smooth sauce.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan and, when smoking hot, add the pak choi and fry until just tender. Add the noodles and peanut sauce, then fry until the noodles are warmed through and the sauce is bubbling.
- Serve the noodles in bowls topped with the warm spiced meat, sprinkled with the spring onions, coriander and peanuts.
Leave out the peppercorns and chilli if you’re not a fan of spicy food – the other flavours will carry the dish.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Beef and vegetable rice noodles
Beef and vegetables work excellently together noodle and stir fry recipe.