Smoked haddock and celeriac hotpot
- February 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 25 minutes to make, 30 minutes to cook
Comfort food doesn’t get any better than this one-pot fish recipe that can be frozen too.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 12.5g (5.8g saturated)
- 25.5g (7.9g sugars)
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large mild onions, finely sliced
- 1 celeriac (about 600g), diced
- 3 large potatoes, diced
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 800g undyed smoked haddock, pin bones removed
- 1 bay leaf
- 600ml whole milk
- 200g sweetcorn kernels
- Small handful chopped fresh
- Flatleaf parsley, to serve
- Heat the butter and oil in a large pan and gently fry the onion for 5 minutes until soft. Add the celeriac and potato to the pan, season well and fry for 5-6 minutes, then add the stock, bring to the boil and cook for 5-10 minutes until tender. Remove from the heat and leave covered.
- Place the fish in a large pan with the bay leaf, cover with the milk and bring to the boil. Turn off the heat and leave for 5 minutes or until just cooked. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and flake into large chunks, removing any skin.
- Return the onion and root-veg mixture to a medium heat. Add the milk from the poached fish and the sweetcorn and gently simmer for 2-3 minutes. Check the seasoning. Divide the chowder into two and serve half immediately, with half the haddock, sprinkled with the parsley.
- Allow the remaining liquid to cool, then add the cooled haddock and freeze in a sealed plastic container for up to 1 month.
- Defrost fully before gently reheating in a pan until piping hot.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roast chicken recipes
Roast chicken with celeriac chips with tarragon dressing
An easy roast chicken recipe served with homemade celeriac chips.
Savoury pancake recipes
Potato and celeriac pancakes with bacon and cheese
Serve these potato and celeriac pancakes with a fried egg for a hearty brunch recipe.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...