Smoked haddock and jersey royal stew
- April 2018
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 min, simmering time 28-30 min
This stunning stew is all about championing the wonderful flavour of the oak-smoked haddock. Serve with a dollop of crème fraîche to add a touch of creamy richness.
If you like the sound of a creamy fish dish, you’ll love this haddock, spinach and Gruyere gratin.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 12g (3.7g saturated)
- 9.5g (7.4g sugars)
- 15g unsalted butter
- Good drizzle olive oil
- 4 onions, finely sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, thickly sliced
- 6 pink peppercorns
- ½ tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 80g pancetta
- 300g jersey royals or other waxy potatoes such as charlotte
- 650ml good quality fish or chicken stock (preferably homemade)
- 1kg oak-smoked MSC haddock fillets, skinned and bones
removed (where possible)
- 100g baby leaf spinach
- Crème fraîche to serve (optional)
- Heat the butter and oil in a large sauté pan (use one with a lid) or flameproof casserole, then gently fry the onions for 20 minutes with the garlic, peppercorns, coriander seeds, turmeric and plenty of black pepper. Cover the pan with a lid and stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, slice the pancetta, quarter the potatoes and warm the fish stock. When the onions have softened and are gaining a little colour (after 8-10 minutes), add the pancetta and potatoes, then the fish stock. Bring to the boil, stir, then simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes feel tender when pierced with a sharp knife. Top with the smoked fish and spinach, then cover with the lid and cook for 8-10 minutes more or until the fish is lightly steamed and the spinach is wilted.
- Evenly divide the fish and the stew among 6 shallow bowls, then
top each with a spoonful of crème fraîche to serve, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Haddock, cream and egg gratin
This indulgent haddock recipe takes just 30 minutes from start to finish making it the...
Haddock, spinach and Gruyère gratin
A creamy, heartening fish dish that’s quick to make – an ideal supper for cold...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...