Smoked haddock and jersey royal stew
- April 2018
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 min, simmering time 28-30 min
This stunning stew is all about championing the wonderful flavour of the oak-smoked haddock. Serve with a dollop of crème fraîche to add a touch of creamy richness.
If you like the sound of a creamy fish dish, you’ll love this haddock, spinach and Gruyere gratin.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 12g (3.7g saturated)
- 9.5g (7.4g sugars)
- 15g unsalted butter
- Good drizzle olive oil
- 4 onions, finely sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, thickly sliced
- 6 pink peppercorns
- ½ tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 80g pancetta
- 300g jersey royals or other waxy potatoes such as charlotte
- 650ml good quality fish or chicken stock (preferably homemade)
- 1kg oak-smoked MSC haddock fillets, skinned and bones
removed (where possible)
- 100g baby leaf spinach
- Crème fraîche to serve (optional)
- Heat the butter and oil in a large sauté pan (use one with a lid) or flameproof casserole, then gently fry the onions for 20 minutes with the garlic, peppercorns, coriander seeds, turmeric and plenty of black pepper. Cover the pan with a lid and stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, slice the pancetta, quarter the potatoes and warm the fish stock. When the onions have softened and are gaining a little colour (after 8-10 minutes), add the pancetta and potatoes, then the fish stock. Bring to the boil, stir, then simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes feel tender when pierced with a sharp knife. Top with the smoked fish and spinach, then cover with the lid and cook for 8-10 minutes more or until the fish is lightly steamed and the spinach is wilted.
- Evenly divide the fish and the stew among 6 shallow bowls, then
top each with a spoonful of crème fraîche to serve, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Haddock, cream and egg gratin
This indulgent haddock recipe takes just 30 minutes from start to finish making it the...
Haddock, spinach and Gruyère gratin
A creamy, heartening fish dish that’s quick to make – an ideal supper for cold...