Herby haddock with salt and vinegar mash and curry mayo
- December 2023
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
This quick fish dinner has serious chip shop vibes. The mash tastes exactly like a perfect bag of chips, soggy with vinegar. Plus the curry mayo echoes chip-shop curry sauce.
Click this way for more creamy mash recipes.
- 42g (17g saturated)
- 57g (6.7g sugars)
- 1kg maris piper potatoes
- 60g panko breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tbsp finely chopped mixed herbs (basil, parsley, dill, chives and/or tarragon are all great)
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 110g unsalted butter, 50g melted, 60g chilled
- 4 sustainable haddock fillets (see tips), any bones removed
- 1 tsp mild curry powder
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 120ml whole milk
- 3-4 tsp malt vinegar
- 200g frozen peas
- Heat the oven to 210°C fan/gas 8 and bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Peel and chop the potatoes and cook in the water for 20 minutes or until soft. Mix the breadcrumbs in a bowl with the crushed garlic, herbs and lemon zest, then stir in the 50g melted butter.
- Put the fish fillets on a baking tray lined with baking paper, then spoon a quarter of the breadcrumb mixture on top of each fillet, patting flat with the back of the spoon. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillet.
- Mix the curry powder into the mayonnaise and set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pan along with the milk and remaining 60g butter, then mash until smooth. Add the vinegar and plenty of salt, then taste, adjusting until you’re happy with the flavour.
- Cook the peas in salted boiling water for 2 minutes, then drain and season with salt and pepper. Serve up a large mound of mash and a spoonful of peas on each plate, then carefully put the baked fish on top and finish with a dollop of curry mayonnaise.
Eco tip Haddock is generally a sustainable choice at the moment – just make sure you look out for MSC-certified haddock.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Best of British recipes
Cheat’s bubble and squeak cakes with smoked haddock and eggs
This easy recipe livens up an ordinary pack of bubble...
Quick prosciutto haddock with butter bean mash
A quick and easy fish recipe for two people. Haddock...
Best mash recipes
Cheat’s southern fried chicken with cream gravy and sweetcorn mash
American-style fried chicken on a bed of sweetcorn mash and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter