Smoked haddock and pea risotto
- December 2018
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 35-40 min
The poaching liquid used to cook the smoked haddock is stirred through risotto rice for extra flavour and a really creamy texture. This risotto makes a tasty meal for two.
- 21g (7.1g saturated)
- 87.8g (9.8g sugars)
- 2 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 leek (about 150g), finely sliced
- 200g frozen sustainable smoked haddock, defrosted
- 100g frozen peas
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- About 750ml turkey or vegetable stock
- 180g risotto rice
- 50g grana padano, grated (or any other hard cheese you have in the fridge)
- Finely grated zest and juice ½ lemon
- Small handful fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat 1 tbsp light olive oil in a large, heavy-based pan and gently cook the
leek until softened – about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the smoked haddock, peas and milk in a saucepan and gently heat until hot but not boiling. Remove the haddock and peas with a slotted spoon, then remove and discard the fish skin. Set aside. Add the stock to the poaching milk and heat until hot (not boiling). Keep warm.
- Stir the rice into the softened leek, coating the grains in oil, then cook for 1-2 minutes more. Start adding the milk/stock mixture a ladleful at a time, stirring frequently and only adding more after the liquid has been absorbed by the rice (this should take 15-20 minutes).
- Stir the haddock and peas into the risotto just as the rice is starting to become plump and tender – roughly 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time. Cook until everything is tender.
- Stir in the cheese, lemon juice and most of the zest, then taste and adjust
the seasoning. Top with the parsley and remaining lemon zest, then drizzle over the remaining olive oil to serve.
e’ve tried many ways to speed up risotto, but it really is a dish that needs a little extra hands-on time to get the best results. This smoked haddock version is thrifty and satisfying.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...