Spaghetti with avocado sauce and fried chorizo
- February 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
This quick and easy pasta recipe has a creamy avocado sauce flavoured with lemon and citrus, and a satisfying bite from the chorizo. What a way to get your five a day.
Or, try this summery pasta with avocado pesto.
- 33g fat (10.1g saturated)
- 75.1g (3.2g sugars)
- 2 ripe avocados
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 400g spaghetti
- 125g cooking chorizo, roughly chopped
- 75g feta, sliced
- 60g kalamata olives, pitted
You’ll also need
- Blender or food processor
- Scoop the avocado flesh into a blender or food processor with most of the basil, the lemon juice, 2 tbsp of the olive oil, just less than half the garlic and plenty of ground black pepper. Whizz until smooth.
- Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water according to the pack instructions. Drain well, reserving 4 tbsp of the cooking water. Return the pasta to the pan with the reserved water and avocado sauce, then mix well to combine.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and fry the chorizo for 2 minutes. Add the remaining garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more until just crisp and golden (see tips).
- Divide the pasta and sauce among 4 plates, spoon over the chorizo, garlic and any oil in the pan, then top with the feta, olives and the reserved basil leaves to serve.
Keep an eye on the garlic when it goes in the hot pan – if it colours too quickly it can turn bitter.
For a veggie-friendly meal, omit the chorizo and increase the feta.
Avos are notoriously tricky to catch at the moment of perfect ripeness – one day hard, the next over-ripe and discolouring inside – but innovations in controlling the ripening mean many are now sold as ‘ready to eat’. If ripening at home, check for ripeness by pulling the stem – it should come away easily to reveal green flesh.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Nutty avocado and mango salad with soy and lime dressing
This healthy vegan avocado salad is packed with the flavours of south east Asia –...