Spaghetti with kale pesto and pangrattato topping
- December 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
We’ve pimped up the pesto with a handful of kale and added a wonderfully crunchy breadcrumb topping to take this weeknight pasta recipe to new heights – and it’s all ready in 20 minutes.
Take a look at our kale and pecorino pesto recipe, too.
- 17.8g (3g saturated)
- 91.6g (4g sugars)
- 100g curly kale
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ½ large garlic clove
- 25g grated parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
- salt and pepper
- 400g spaghetti
- Lemon wedges (to serve)
For the pangrattato
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- 30g toasted pine nuts
- ½ tbsp chilli flakes
- To make the kale pesto, put the kale in a food processor with the olive oil, zest and juice of the lemon, garlic and parmesan, then whizz to a fine paste. Season with salt and pepper, taste and adjust the flavour with a little more lemon juice or olive oil if needed.
- To make the pangrattato topping, put a splash of olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and toast the fresh breadcrumbs with a pinch of salt until golden, then stir in half the kale pesto, the toasted pine nuts and chilli flakes. Turn off the heat.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the pack instructions and drain, reserving a cupful of cooking water. Toss the remaining pesto with the pasta and a splash of reserved cooking water, then toss with the kale pangrattato. Sprinkle with extra lemon zest, grated parmesan (or vegetarian alternative) and chilli flakes, then serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter