Spiced potatoes and peas
- February 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, simmering time 15-20 min
Chetna Makan’s quick and healthy vegetarian curry recipe is packed with simple, warming flavours and is so comforting on a cold day.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 4.6g (0.6g saturated)
- 53.3g (12.1g sugars)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 8 fresh curry leaves (or 16 dried)
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 200g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp kashmiri chilli powder (or mild chilli powder)
- 4 medium potatoes (about 800g), chopped into 2cm cubes
- 300g frozen peas
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Handful chopped fresh coriander to serve
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan or casserole with a lid. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and cook until starting to sizzle. Add the curry leaves and cook for 1 minute. Lower the heat and add the chopped onions, green chilli and garlic, then cook, stirring occasionally, for about 7 minutes until golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add the salt, turmeric and chilli powder, mix well and cook for a further minute.
- Add the cubed potatoes to the pan along with 500ml freshly boiled water from a kettle. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are cooked, adding the peas for the last 10 minutes. Stir in the garam masala, mixing well, and season to taste. Serve the curry steaming hot, sprinkled with the coriander.
Cool and chill covered for 3-4 days. Reheat until piping hot before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas salmon recipes
Cured wild salmon carpaccio with caramel jhalmuri, potato salad and pea chutney
Impress your friends with Vivek Singh’s carpaccio of cured wild salmon, with caramel jhalmuri, potato...