Spicy Lebanese lamb tart
- October 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 35-40 minutes to cook
This wonderfully simple lamb tart recipe is excellent topped with a dollop of Greek yogurt and served with a fattoush salad.
- 44.4g (18.1g saturated)
- 45.9g (7.9g sugar)
- 375g ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 tbsp semolina or polenta
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500g lean lamb mince
- 1½ tbsp pomegranate molasses (we like Al Rabih, from Sainsbury’s)
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 chillies, 1 deseeded and finely chopped, 1 sliced
- 25g pine nuts, toasted
- 200ml chicken stock, hot
- Bunch of fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped, plus extra to garnish
- Bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
- Handful of pomegranate seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/fan180ºC/gas 6. Trim the puff pastry a little to make a 30cm x 20cm rectangle. Score a border 3cm inside the rectangle with a knife and place on a baking sheet that has been sprinkled with the semolina or polenta. Brush the pastry with the beaten egg, taking care not to brush directly over the scored line, and prick the inside rectangle several times with a fork to stop it from rising. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the edge of the pastry rectangle has started to rise and turn lightly golden, then remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile, heat a heavy-based pan with the oil and cook the onion gently for 5 minutes until soft. Add the lamb and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring until browned all over, then stir in the pomegranate molasses, allspice, cinnamon, finely chopped chilli, pine nuts and stock. Cook for 10 minutes until the stock has reduced, leaving sticky lamb mince. Stir through the parsley and coriander, season, then spoon into the puff pastry case.
- Sprinkle with the sliced chilli and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes more. Serve sprinkled with the extra parsley and the pomegranate seeds.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter