Spinach and egg pizza
- March 2007
- Serves 4
- Takes about 35 minutes to make, 20 minutes to bake, plus proving
Spinach and eggs make the perfect vegetarian topping combination for this pizza recipe.
- 32.2g (13.5g saturated)
- 77.8g (7.8g sugar)
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp mixed dried herbs
- 400g can plum tomatoes
- 225g spinach, washed
- 2 x 150g balls mozzarella, chopped
- 4 medium eggs
For the dough
- 350g strong plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- ¾ tsp fine salt
- ¾ tsp fast-action dried yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Make the dough. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Stir in the yeast, then gradually mix in 200ml tepid water and the oil, to form a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes. Put into an oiled bowl, cover and set aside for 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a wide frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until softened. Stir in the purée and herbs, cook for 1 minute, then add the tomatoes, breaking them up with the spoon. Simmer for 15 minutes, until thickened. Season and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C/fan210°C/gas 8. Knead the dough, then roll out to a large thin rectangle. Press onto a large, oiled baking sheet and spread with the tomato sauce. Put the spinach in a colander, pour over boiling water and squeeze out the liquid. Scatter over the pizza, top with the cheese and season. Bake for 15 minutes, until pale golden.
- Crack the eggs on the pizza and bake for 5 minutes, until just set. Serve with a green salad.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Artichoke hearts with roasted tomatoes and mozzarella
This easy artichoke recipe pairs their earthiness with sweet tomatoes and creamy mozzarella. Perfect summer...