Spinach and egg pizza
- March 2007
- Serves 4
- Takes about 35 minutes to make, 20 minutes to bake, plus proving
Spinach and eggs make the perfect vegetarian topping combination for this homemade pizza recipe. You might also know it as a ‘fiorentina’.
- 32.2g (13.5g saturated)
- 77.8g (7.8g sugar)
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp mixed dried herbs
- 400g can plum tomatoes
- 225g spinach, washed
- 2 x 150g balls mozzarella, chopped
- 4 medium eggs
For the dough
- 350g strong plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- ¾ tsp fine salt
- ¾ tsp fast-action dried yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Make the dough. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Stir in the yeast, then gradually mix in 200ml tepid water and the oil, to form a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes. Put into an oiled bowl, cover and set aside for 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a wide frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until softened. Stir in the purée and herbs, cook for 1 minute, then add the tomatoes, breaking them up with the spoon. Simmer for 15 minutes, until thickened. Season and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C/fan210°C/gas 8. Knead the dough, then roll out to a large thin rectangle. Press onto a large, oiled baking sheet and spread with the tomato sauce. Put the spinach in a colander, pour over boiling water and squeeze out the liquid. Scatter over the pizza, top with the cheese and season. Bake for 15 minutes, until pale golden.
- Crack the eggs on the pizza and bake for 5 minutes, until just set. Serve with a green salad.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter